Quality HVAC Repair in Midland, Michigan | Preparing Your Furnace for Winter
When you aren’t using your furnace in the warmer months, a lot can happen that could affect its performance in the winter. Never wait until cold weather arrives to prepare your furnace, so you have time to ensure it’s running properly. While it’s best to have the experts at All Seasons Heating, Cooling and Insulation inspect your furnace for you, there are a few steps you can do yourself.
- Check your filter monthly and replace it at least every three months, sooner if you have pets, allergies or live in a dusty environment. Locate your filter, pull it out and slide a new one into the slot, following the arrows on the filter’s frame.
- Clean your air vents and ducts by removing the vent covers and extracting dust with the extension hose on your vacuum.
- Inspect the blower belt for cracks after turning off power to the furnace at the main circuit breaker. Remove the steel cover from the air handler and examine the blower belt, which is the largest rubber belt. Replace it if it’s cracked or damaged in any way.
- Inspect the outdoor exhaust flue to ensure it’s free of obstructions, including branches. Always keep the area around your unit free of debris and clutter.
- Open all your indoor air vents and remove anything covering the top of the vents. Remove items in front of your return vents. Ensure anything flammable is well away from the furnace.
- Test your system and thermostat by turning it to heat mode and lowering the temperature until the system starts up. Ensure warm air is coming out of each vent and the entire system is working properly.
- If your furnace runs off propane or heating oil, contact your supplier to have the tank filled before winter. Both products are typically cheaper in the warmer months than in the middle of winter, especially if there’s a prolonged cold snap that increases demand.
- Install or check existing carbon monoxide and radon detectors for your family’s safety.
- If you think your system has a gas leak, call a professional immediately.
All Seasons Heating, Cooling and Insulation is your home-heating expert and can professionally install, repair and perform routine maintenance on your furnace. We also provide 24-hour emergency service on furnaces in Midland, Michigan, and throughout the Tri-Cities area. For all your HVAC needs, call 989-832-2752 today.